Friday, May 29, 2015

The Isle of the Lost

22639095
I purchased this book when it first released this month/May. I was extremely excited when it came out. I tried to get my hands on an advanced copy but unfortunately my blog had not picked up too much when I requested it! Anyways, I purchased the book at target and got a cool picture frame magnet with it. You can check out other reviews on Goodreads.com. Also, please check out my twitter! @BookswithHayley.

So, let us get right into this! I was so excited for this book release and I went to Target right after work to pick it up. The cover is stunning, I loved the entire look to it. If you purchase a hardcover, the book is all black with metallic purple writing on the side. Overall I really liked the entire jacket design. This book is a very quick read in the best possible way. I was struggling to get through my books lately and I decided to put a hold on the book I was reading. So I picked up this book and I could not put it back down. It was filled with adventure and schemes! It was dark and twisty in the villainous way that it has to be! The characters are so easy to love and you're constantly just wanting to know more about these characters. 

The story revolves around Mal, Jay, Evie, Carlos, and Ben. Mal is the daughter of Maleficent, Jay is the son of Jafar, Evie is the daughter of the Evil Queen, Carlos is the son of Cruella De Vil, and Ben is the son of Belle and the Beast. Mal, Jay, Evie, and Carlos live on the Isle of the Lost under the dome. Ben lives in Auradon, where all the non-evil people live. For example, Belle, the Beast, the dwarfs, the dalmatians, etc. Mal isn't evil enough to be called by her full name, Jay is a cunning thief, Evie is kind, and Carlos is intelligent. Mal and Jay are as thick as thieves and their friendship/non-friendship is just awesome. They get along so well and they are by far my favorite characters. Carlos and Evie are very friendly with each other and Evie even gives Carlos a pillow, that she was going to "throw out anyway". Being kind is totally unheard of and not appropriate for the Isle. Then there is Ben, very unknowing of all the evil children on the Isle. He will soon rule the kingdoms and he is very curious of the Isle. He wants to be a good ruler and unfortunately, getting on top of the table and screaming at the council isn't a great start.

Evie and Mal aren't on the best terms because Mal's mother banished Evie and her mother. So when Evie comes back 10 years later, did she really think that Mal wasn't going to hold a grudge? Mal wants to get back at Evie and plans to do something excessively evil. As the book progresses, the characters seem to start having things in common. For example, their parents. Evil and wicked. Parents that live in the past, parents that are selfish, and parents that are always disappointed. These kids all start to realize that they have things in common. 


*******!!spoiler!!*******
As we get farther into the book, I realized that the quests the children are faced with make you feel sorry for them. Their parents are so selfish and love their birds, money, fur, and beauty over their children. It made me very upset and then Mal is faced with trying to figure out whether or not to go through with her scheme. The children all disappoint their parents and then I realized it is because they weren't as evil and vengeful as their parents.

*******!!spoiler over!!*******

The book was amazing and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to find out what happens next! Killer cliff hanger. Be ready for the anxiety of this wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment